What started as a collection of rants and raving while suffering the mind-numbing cold of the Upper Mississippi Valley has now become observations of assimilating to the State of Alabama.
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

Monday, March 9, 2009

More Music



No- I didn't get the house completely cleaned up---(there is a lot of crap stuffed in and around my small abode) but I did make some progress- vacuuming the living room- hallway, finding the suitable chemicals to get the hard water stains out of the American Standard Throne, and getting laundry done- of course- I still need to fold and hang said laundry- which would be easier if I had a real closet in my bedroom. The reason I don't have a closet in my bedroom is because my ex decided to tear it out in the interest of making more room for the bed- which meant that the bathroom needs to be completely redone in order to make a closet for the bedroom, which since he left- means none of the above has been done and I don't have the major fundage in the bank to hire a design team to come in and do what needs to be done. Of course finding someone to do what needs to be done to a 1967 Rollohome and be willing to do it-is going to be neither easy nor reasonably priced. So the day wasn't a total loss- there may be hope for me yet. And no- I didn't toss all the food in the house to the local Salvation Army food pantry. I did however, make what could be a major GI clean-out pot of beans, which are warming on the stove even as I write this drivel. But I digress.

By 9pm my choices were- clean the TV screen or get the hell out of the house. I decided that the latter was in order so I went to another- (Yes- my town has many purveyors of adult beverages- we did make the Guinness Book of World Records once for that.) downtown gin mill in the hope of finding musical entertainment. So- for the low price of 5 bucks to get in the door- I got to see a darn good band. Yes, they played covers- but at least they knew what they were doing- and best of all, they were NOT FROM HERE!!!!! I crave diversity when it comes to that now- I've seen the same local guys, the good, the mediocre, and the really bad, too many times to consider it entertainment- especially if I'm getting dinged for a cover charge plus the cost of my libational medication (beer).

Upon walking in- I hear bluegrass with a punch being played. Ok- not quite what I'm used to on a Sunday night downtown- but hey- maybe it might motivate me to go to church. The set they were finishing had a lot of songs that sounded reminiscent of hill country gospel (although- the lyrics were far short of singing the praises of the Glory of God.) But before you know it, my feet- they -were- a -tappin', even after only two pulls from my cold beer bottle. The last set was more rock oriented- but sounded definitely like some of the influences of the group had to have been The Band, and Little Feat, along with Skynyrd, and the Allman Bros. I finished out the night at the bar and even asked permission to take the poster advertising them so that I could get a signature or two. Prior to grabbing the poster- the lead singer was busy playing an encore of impromptu requests and having a sing along with some of the diehards, Grateful Dead- Friend of the Devil and Uncle John's Band. Finding out if my ears were right was the main reason for grabbing the poster (I needed props to help give me the courage to walk up and butt into the fan club). Yep- first band the guy named was The Band, and mentioned a few others I had heard of and some I didn't- and then proceeds to tell me that Yep- they had played with Little Feat down in Jamaica!

So if you like The Band, Little Feat, Beau Soleil etc- this band is worth a listen. And since I do have one album of Beau Soleil, I'm going to be playing that for my bedtime music lullaby tonight :)

No comments: