What started as a collection of rants and raving while suffering the mind-numbing cold of the Upper Mississippi Valley has now become observations of assimilating to the State of Alabama.
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Past Comes Back to Haunt Me- UPDATE


Sorry this took so long to post- but many thanks to you Beth for your amazing memory :)

HI,
Ever since reading the blog post I've been meaning to send you the story behind the "Hiss" name. Here 'tis, in all its grammar-school scatalogical silliness:
On a field trip to the Memphis Zoo in 1973 or thereabouts, our class stopped in the gift shop. (Funny how I hadn't even KNOWN there was a gift shop before that . . . clever Mom!) There I spotted a ceramic piece that was a pot (ashtray, perhaps?) with a snake coiled around it and the words "Remember when you didn't have a pot to hiss into?" I didn't know it was an allusion to the old saw about "we were so poor we didn't have a pot to piss into", but I sensed it was slightly risque (in a 3rd-grade sort of way) and therefore it held immense appeal to me. You saw the objet d'art too, and that is how the Hiss Club came to be. The piece was probably a few dollars, certainly out of my 3rd-grade price range, and I really didn't care for snakes anyway. I ended up buying a zoo coloring book instead.
I don't believe this is the exact item, but the snake and message are the same.
. . . and there you have it, the HISStory revealed.
Your old pal,
Beth

No comments: